A Course in Miracles Overview
by Louise Frechette
"This course was sent to open up the path of light to us, and teach us, step by step,how to return to the eternal Self we thought we lost." A Course in Miracles
Of all the spiritual and philosophical teachings I've read and pondered the most intensely, A Course In Miracles is the bright star that outshines all the rest. I've been a student of the Course for over 30 years and my love and respect for it only increases over time. It's been my primary source for inspiration and practical answers for turning challenges and struggles into gifts that helped me grow and change in ways I wouldn't have been willing or capable of doing on my own.
There’s a depth and clarity that takes you beyond the resistances of your ego and lifts you to a higher plane of reason, sanity, and best of all—a happy, beautifully dynamic peace—that transcends anything your separate self could ever give you.
As the Course says, it's not the only way -- there are thousands of other paths to God. You don't even have to believe in God, "you just need to believe that your interests are not apart from someone else's".
The ideas that resonated with me—that held up over time and proved true were the same ones that brought me to an experience of universal truths that no matter what form they came in, echoed the same message that Love is the answer to all that ails us. Not the ego’s special love that shifts and changes—but eternal Love that has the unique capacity to lift us above our self-made conflicts and show us there’s another way to live and a changeless love whose breadth and depth and scope we can't even fathom.
ACIM Class Meditations
The FREE recordings below are selections of meditations led by Louise at the beginning of some of her study group gatherings. Each clip is about 10 minutes long and is offered as an invitation to join us as we move our awareness inwards to the sacred inner realm we all share.
So sit back, relax, and allow your awareness to experience the peace and healing being extended by our unified Self.
Interwoven Beingness and Request for Help
Healing a Grievance
*If you have any problem accessing these free audio clips, please email us.
A few basic realities we’ve learned from applying the Course in our life:
- You can’t change what you don’t know needs changing. It takes time and effort to look within but it's amazingly easier when you partner with another person in unity with our inner Teacher and unified Self.
- Nothing outside of you can save you if you aren’t willing to look at what you’re doing that’s self-limiting, self-sabotaging, or self-destructive.
- We’re not alone in this world, no matter how much it may feel that way when things go wrong. There's always a way to join with our inner Teacher or highest Self by sharing what we're feeling with It.
- Each of us has an eternal Self just behind our ego that’s incredibly real, amazingly peaceful, as loving as we could ever hope to be, and wise far beyond what’s possible with our ego.
- We’ll find our Self or lose our Self by what we choose to see in another person.
- Our assessment of another person mirrors back to us what we love or hate in ourselves.
- We always see the past unless we’ve surrendered to the eternal Now.
- To give is to receive. The form is nothing, the content is everything.
Some Key Ideas from ACIM:
- The Atonement process is one of working to release the inner Self so that once our mind becomes more secure in Its reality and ability to help us via the thought system of Love, we begin to allow It to lead us instead of the ego and its thought system of fear.
- Fear can be corrected by “higher willing” which is right-mindedness because it lifts us out of the power struggle of two opposing levels of our mind where one part of us conflicts with another. For example, when one part of us decides to behave a certain way which another part of our mind did not want us to do, we’re in conflict and fear or anger results. Right perception or allowing our inner Teacher to give us a different way of thinking about the situation allows us to resolve the conflict and release our true will. That process brings peace and ends the conflict.
- If all fear stems from a thought of attack towards someone, then the remedy is one in which we shift it to a thought of love—in whatever form that may take: understanding, compassion, forgiveness.
- It’s not enough to recognize the need for a remedy; you have to actually apply the remedy by accepting it into your mind. Learning to depend on your inner Teacher for help with this is crucial if you find too much resistance to making the shift away from the fear.
- In any difficult situation or conflict, the ideal to strive for is to try to place everyone in the right frame of mind to help each other. Extending courtesy and belief in each person’s higher integrity instead of focusing on their shortcomings, helps to bring about a change in the way everyone can see each other.